Content classification best practices - subcategories or tags?

More
7 years 9 months ago #62952 by michal.rames@gmail.com
Hi,

I would like to understand what is the best practice in flexicontent for classification of content where items are included in multiple sub-categories and need to be filtered in tag-like fashion, allowing items from multiple categories to be listed at the same time.

Option 1 - subcategories - has advantage of "composition" relationship between categories and subcategories
Question: is there a mechanism to optionally select listings from multiple sub-categories while browsing parent category?
Code:
-Cat A (parent category) -Cat A1 (selected using checkbox in side menu or module or other tag-like behavior) -ItemA -ItemB -Cat A2 (selected using checkbox in side menu or module or other tag-like behavior) -ItemB -Cat B (parent category) -Cat B1 (selected using checkbox in side menu or module or other tag-like behavior) -ItemB -Cat B2 (selected using checkbox in side menu or module or other tag-like behavior) -ItemB

Option 2 - tags - has disadvantage of "aggregation" relationship between tag and item, no relationship between tag and category
Question: how to limit tag groups per category?
Code:
-Cat A (parent category) -ItemA [tag A1] -ItemB [tag A1, tag A2] -Cat B (parent category) -ItemB [tag B1, tag B2]

Many thanks

Michal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62953 by ggppdk
Hello

do you suggest that we limit tags per type ?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
7 years 9 months ago #62957 by michal.rames@gmail.com
Hi,

In my case the items are of the same type in all categories. Limiting tags per type would not help me.

However if you could limit tags per category, that would help me a lot. Is it a feasible approach? Can you make it an enhancement request? Or would you instead recommend to go with subcategories and investigate a way to use the subcategories as a filter - to display items from multiple subcategories at the same time?

Thanks

More
7 years 9 months ago #62961 by micker
maybe do not use sub cat but flexicontent field like an select multiple and cascading option

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
7 years 9 months ago #62986 by michal.rames@gmail.com
Interesting, I will keep the categories and will create a DB table with "tags per category" and use SQL selector in multivalue field to get them (based on {item-> catid} instead of cascade).

More questions:
* is there a shorthand for retrieving secondary categories? (like {item->catid})
* is there a recommended approach for filtering item list by field value? can I show the field options in a module as checkboxes and use that for filtering?

many thanks!

More
7 years 9 months ago #62987 by micker
for filtering you can :
- use filtering module
- display filter in categorie view
- create a link to a categorie with filter (auto or forced) like idfilter##value idfilter##value1+++value2 etc ... see popup description

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline