[SOLVED] Readmore Link only if neccessary

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #54039 by Macjoomla
Hello ggppd,

i would like my articles to be shortened to special amount of characters, say 100, and if description has more characters there should be Readmore-Link. If description is empty or less then 100 characters there should not be a Readmore-Link. I think, this is intended behavior of this function.

I am choosing to show Readmore (not always) in global Preferences and in category preferences (template blog, not modified and just intro articles, no leading) i told it to cut after 100 characters (this shortening works fine), but i tried all possibilities there and either it shows always a Readmore Link (even on articles with empty description field) or it does not show a Readmore field at all.

Maybe there is just a little preference anywhere, i missed, can you help me? I am working with 3.0 BETA7 (just downloaded) and joomla 3.41

Thank you and best regards
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by ggppdk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #54091 by ggppdk
Hello

this is not a new topic

we try to follow Joomla behaviour:
- if fulltext exists (you have read more in your description) then show
but also
- if you strip / cut text then show, because HTML is being removed, e.g. images

In your case
you are sayng that introtext is empty , thus the readmore show not be shown
... maybe it is because of empty paragraphs in introtext, will check this

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #54150 by Macjoomla

ggppdk wrote: we try to follow Joomla behaviour:
- if fulltext exists (you have read more in your description) then show
but also
- if you strip / cut text then show, because HTML is being removed, e.g. images

This behavior would be great!
And it should not show, if length of description is shorter than maximum length of intro to be skipped.

ggppdk wrote: In your case
you are sayng that introtext is empty , thus the readmore show not be shown
... maybe it is because of empty paragraphs in introtext, will check this

Yes in my case i made some different articles with different length to see what happens in which case, but i can't get all articles to show with or without correctly Readon together.
- On always show and skip text, it shows on all articles no matter if there is text anyway.
- On just show and skip text, it does not show anywhere, but there, where is an explicit Readon inserted in description.

Thank you for you help and best regards, Macjoomla
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Macjoomla.

More
8 years 11 months ago #54211 by Macjoomla
Hello ggppdk,
did you find out something about the readmore issue? I really don't understand the logic behind and this should be one of the basics, shouldn't it?

Thank you and best regards, Macjoomla

More
8 years 11 months ago #54219 by ggppdk
Hello

if "strip and cut" is ON we have no clean way to know if the text is "empty" or not, e.g. it can contain strip HTML tags that are real content,

-- please make this test:
create a Joomla category menu item pointing to the same category, and configure the read more to show

it the read more of the acticles shown if you click on this menu item ?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #54226 by Macjoomla

ggppdk wrote: Hello
if "strip and cut" is ON we have no clean way to know if the text is "empty" or not, e.g. it can contain strip HTML tags that are real content,

On strip an cut, as i understand, there are these possibilities:
1. More characters than allowed until cut: text ist cut and readon is inserted after count of characters. This includes your example above with html tags.
2. Less or equal characters than allowed: text is not cut, nor readon is inserted.
3. Would be nice, if self inserted readon beats automatic read on.

ggppdk wrote: please make this test:
create a Joomla category menu item pointing to the same category, and configure the read more to show is the read more of the acticles shown if you click on this menu item ?

Ok i did so and there was only my self inserted reason visible in this joomla view, BUT after doing so it was clear, because Joomla is not able to cut and strip text and insert a read on after special count of characters, so flexicontent can't work like joomla in this case. Something i did not thought about, but this feature is just one of a lot of reasons to use flexicontent B)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Macjoomla.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline