Fields in Category Views

More
8 years 4 months ago #58710 by Ninjakitten
It would be great if we could have as much freedom in the non-item-list second of category pages as we do in item pages. I added positions to the category_category area of the template, and it works great... as long as the fields being used don't need to take any input. If they determine their content based on data about the page they're on, or from the db, no problem. However, if the field needs an entry or a choice, well, there's nowhere to do it for categories -- no tab in the template with the associated fields ready to be filled, the way the item template has. I'd love to have that.

Is there any way I could do that now without hacking at the core flexicontent files? Thus far I've been thrilled to be able to convince it to do the things I need via the functions intended for that (css, templating, field plugins) but I suspect this is a change that I'd have to make in files which later upgrades would overwrite if I do it myself.

(It would also be great if templates would recognize symbolic links to the appropriate file in other template folders.. I have three different top sections to categories but they all use the same customized category_items, and having multiple copies would mean remembering to change all three when anything needs adjusting. I worked around this by removing those files and putting the code in the default template's category_items instead, which works, but is messier than it would be if the template would accept a link.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #58713 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Fields in Category Views
Hello

you want to attach FLEXIcontent fields to the every category ?
so that you can edit / set them in category edit form ?

This is meant for future work, you cannot do it now

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
8 years 4 months ago #58722 by Ninjakitten
Yup, basically. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a work-around for my current application, but it would be a very nice feature. After all, category pages can be basically the same thing as a basic item except with an automatic list attached. Displaying the fields is simple enough, it's just being able to set fields specifically for category pages that I'd like.

I'm glad it's planned for a future release, even if it'll be a bit late for my particular project. ;)

More
8 years 4 months ago #58723 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Fields in Category Views
Hello

also types not related to com_content are planned:
github.com/FLEXIcontent/flexicontent-cck/issues/277

thus we will have "basic form types" (* without category relations) AND "content types"
and "basic form items" AND "content items"

that:
- use FLEXIcontent fields
- allow creating / editing many items at once (single form submit)
- will have good ACL support
- have some good automatic metadata (like com_content) created (date), modified (date), created_by (user), modified_by (user)
- 1 DB table per type
- no category relations instead types will be related between them with 1-to-many or many-to-many relations

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline