EDocman integration

More
7 years 9 months ago #62926 by othbert
EDocman integration was created by othbert
Hi there,
I'm tasked with producing a site using Joomla! and have purchased the EDocman plugin in order to leverage the PDF Indexing and ACL restricting qualities with regard to files.
The other major component of the site will be using Flexicontent to generate content "sections" (items) which will be ordered together in a category and allow the owners to create "pages" (categories) with several mixed content views.

The issue I'm discovering is that EDocman uses it's own categories system and therefore I cannot create a link to an EDocman category as a flexicontent field to be used in a type.

I searched both forums but could not find anyone having asked a similar question before, which surprised me a little considering the popularity and years of development behind both components.

What works would be to create a module containing the desired EDocman category, then link to it in a flexicontent field, but then the problem is that a new module would have to be automatically created with a plugin, when an EDocman category is created. This also means cluttering up the system with a bunch of modules that are only used in one particular place and probably not the intended function of modules at all really.

So what appears to be the most straightforward idea so far is to create a new custom field plugin for flexicontent, which will allow me to select from the list of current EDocman categories. This field can then be added to a type, and the item can be ordered using the same method as the rest of the flexicontent items.

Before I start on that, I'm just wondering if there are any other suggestions, or ways to link EDocman categories to standard Joomla! categories directly in a 1:1 or many:many mapping? Failing that, if by some miracle someone else has needed this and created a flexicontent or EDocman plugin to integrate the two components I'd love to take a look!

Thanks for the great software!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #62941 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic EDocman integration
Hello

if you use the FLEXIcontent file field, and assign it to some content types
- then you have the ACL that comes with FLEXIcontent items / categories (we have made some ACL fixes in v3.0.15-dev)

then we are in the process of adding PDF indexing into our search index

to test the updated file field of v3.0.15 (we will examine adding PDF indexing next days, i ll reply here next days if this will be in v3.0.15 or not):

You can test in testing or localhost web-site:
github.com/FLEXIcontent/flexicontent-cck/tree/3.0.x-stable

click "Download or Clone" / Download ZIP
and install into a TESTING web-site via "Joomla extension manager"

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
7 years 9 months ago #62944 by othbert
Replied by othbert on topic EDocman integration
Thanks for the reply, if the PDF indexing were to make it in, that would certainly make life a lot easier! :)
I'll keep watching to see if it makes it.

In the meantime, due to the project needing to be functional as soon as possble, and owing to the possibility that the indexing update might not see release, I think I'll start writing a field plugin for flexi to integrate the EDocman 'tags' rather than the categories.

Looking forward to seeing if the indexing happens though, would also make search a lot easier to deal with!
Thanks

More
7 years 9 months ago #62947 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic EDocman integration
Hello

you are the 3rd person within 20 days, to have a question that is about or related to PDF Indexing

please continue your plans, will see withing week if this will be added in short-term

I think I'll start writing a field plugin for flexi to integrate the EDocman 'tags'

if you do write a plugin, then you may ask question about it

First please read this:
www.flexicontent.org/documentation/faq/7...-new-field-type.html

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...
The following user(s) said Thank You: othbert

More
7 years 9 months ago #62949 by micker
Replied by micker on topic EDocman integration
think you can execute sql request in lot of flexicontent field in order to select thing in EDocman
but a plugin is great for perfect integration

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: othbert

More
7 years 9 months ago #62950 by othbert
Replied by othbert on topic EDocman integration

Hello
you are the 3rd person within 20 days, to have a question that is about or related to PDF Indexing

please continue your plans, will see withing week if this will be added in short-term

I think I'll start writing a field plugin for flexi to integrate the EDocman 'tags'

if you do write a plugin, then you may ask question about it

First please read this:
www.flexicontent.org/documentation/faq/7...-new-field-type.html

think you can execute sql request in lot of flexicontent field in order to select thing in EDocman
but a plugin is great for perfect integration

Fantastic! Thank you both, I'm already using the guide to replicate the behaviour of the 'selectmultiple' flexicontent field, building the SQL statement like it is done in the backend, for tags. Through experimenting, I have noticed that the edocman tagging isn't as user friendly as it could be (no existing tags suggestion etc), so I'm looking at doing categories too.

Just a quick sanity check as I'm getting used to 'doing things the Joomla! way', once I have selected tags or categories, I need to override the front end display of the plugin, to call edocman, either via a module or plugin, passing it the parameters, is that right?
Thanks!

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline