Fleximap Pro Accuracy

More
12 years 8 months ago #17683 by Jonl
Fleximap Pro Accuracy was created by Jonl
This is a duplication of a post made on Orchid One's website, but based on previous posts, I suspect that this forum may have more activity and therefore may be a better source for a solution.

I have fleximap pro on my website www.tenbyvisitorguide.co.uk showing the location of many businesses and activities.

Using Google maps, I have found the lat long coordinates and inserted these into the Map Address field of each item within Flexicontent.

The lat long coordinates are listed to 5 decimal places in the format 51.69861, -4.83070

Many of the businesses are reporting a problem with their precise location and so I have tried to make small changes to the map location.

As a very visual example Google Maps has the location 51.69861, -4.83070 pinpointed in the middle of Carew Castle, however this is shown on my site at 51.69804, -4.83141. This is close, but not accurate enough :( See Carew Castle

Does fleximap pro only work to two / three decimal places or am I missing something?

I could achieve something similar with a google maps plugin, but this would mean revising each of the entries and so I thought it worth asking here first.

Many thanks

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #17687 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Fleximap Pro Accuracy
I have this plugin too, so i made a quick test with your coordinates with default plugin parameters and it worked properly. But i can see in your link that for you it has accuracy problem.

Try this:
create a new type, create a new field of FlexiMAps Pro type with default params, assign new field to the new type, create a item and set coordinates, also assign a (new) template to the item that displays this field. Check if it works.

Also it could be an issue with the accuracy of PHP on your server. Or javascript issue, did you try other browsers?

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 8 months ago #17688 by ggppdk
Tested in all browsers all yielded correct results

So i think not a javascript issue.

I visited your page , i can see the http request to the googgle maps server it is sending wrong coordinates ...

Maybe PHP accuracy issue of your server or Field configuration issue. Try what i suggested in previous post. I dont have other ideas ...

Regards

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
12 years 8 months ago #17694 by Jonl
Replied by Jonl on topic Fleximap Pro Accuracy
ggppdk, thanks once again for assisting.

I have done as suggested and created a new type / item / template, but this too returns the wrong location.

I have also contacted my hosts to enquire about the accuracy of php on the server as I am unsure of how to do this.

Your comment that the google maps server is sending the wrong coordinates intrigues me. Looking in the page source code, I see
geocoder.getLatLng('51.69860, -4.83066', function(latlng)
These are the right coordinates entered in the map field in flexicontent, but they are not being implemented correctly.

I have tried other Joomla map plugins and the marker is pinpointed correctly, and so I can only assume that it's a problem with Fleximaps Pro.

Jon

More
12 years 8 months ago #17695 by Jonl
Replied by Jonl on topic Fleximap Pro Accuracy
My hosts have confirmed that php should be accurate to 14 places, so we can rule this out.

More
12 years 8 months ago #17697 by ggppdk
It is correct on the HTML source, but when i checked the HTTP request sent to the Google server by using firebug,it has slightly changed coordinates:
Look at the end of the URL:

maps.google.com/maps/vp?spn=0.00 ... ,-4.831415

Something is wrong with javascript. Maybe you are loading an older version javascript file from Google server, but it did not see such a thing, without spending a lot of time to search, i have no idea why this is happening.

Regards

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline