[solved] New sub-category not inheriting permissions

More
14 years 1 month ago #4591 by ewel
While I did the front-end permissions, I used the option to cascade read permission down to sub-categories and items. However, when I add a new category, it does not inherit permissions and instead is public.
An easy work-around is to always set access to special when creating a new category, but it would be much nicer if FlexiAccess makes Flexicontent automatically aware that there are permissions to be inherited once a parent category is selected.

When I create a new content item it seems that the permissions of the category in which it is placed are propagated on the front-end, but when I look at the permissions in the back-end it's all red so I shouldn't have the front-end access that I do have.

All in all it's not really clear to me how propagation works...

I can't post any screenshots or URLs but I could give full access to my development website.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4685 by vistamedia
Hi Ewel,
I suppose you speak about the READ permissions. That's true, they are nore automatically inherited for a simple reason, imagine you have a category restricted to your subscribers user, you may want to restrict one particular item to your premium subscribers (more restriction).
That's why, you have this:
[img

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Cheers,
Emmanuel.

FLEXIcontent lead developer.
www.vistamedia.fr web agency and custom development.
www.joomla.fr co-administrator.
Please no PM for support request, use the forum for that!!!

More
14 years 1 month ago #4687 by ewel
Thanks Emmanuel, I did use the propagation option. However, it seems that the propagation of read permissions works for subcategories existing when the read permissions are set using the propagation option, but not for new categories added later.

My understanding is as follows, using this as an example structure:
Cat A -> public
--Cat B -> registered
----Cat C -> premium
Cat D -> premium (propagated from C because it exists when A, B and C permissions are set)
Cat E -> public (should be premium but is public because it is added later and not getting read permissions propagated from C)

So, I have public category A with two child categories: category B for all registered users and subcategory C for premium users. In category C I have a subcategory D, also for premium users. So in FlexiAccess I set B to registered users using the 'propagate read permissions to children' option. Likewise, using the same option, I set category C to premium users.
Now if a day later I add subcategory E with C as parent, then (after I create that category until I go to FlexiAccess to do settings) the category E permissions are public. I expected the category E permissions would automatically get the category C settings propagated so that it would be readable only for premium users.

Is that how it is?

Ewout

More
14 years 1 month ago #4729 by vistamedia

Thanks Emmanuel, I did use the propagation option. However, it seems that the propagation of read permissions works for subcategories existing when the read permissions are set using the propagation option, but not for new categories added later.

That's TRUE because I conceived it like that, when you add a subcat you have to re-propagate the read permissions to to child items.
Maybe in a future version, I'll add a configuration parameter to allow the auto-heritance for the READ permission, but as it changes a lot of things, it far to be in my priority list ;)

More
14 years 1 month ago #4730 by ewel
It would be great if you could add that! This would make it much easier to deal with lots of categories, especially when non-developers are allowed to add categories.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4747 by vistamedia
I simply didn't do it like that to allow having more restriction on a content, that is in a category which is already restricted.
With auto-heritance it's impossible ;)

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline