Joom!Fish issues

More
12 years 3 months ago #22039 by kenmcd
Joom!Fish issues was created by kenmcd
There have been a number of issues concerning the website and Joom!Fish.

One of the biggest concerns is it broke the download links from the Joomla Extensions Directory (JED) and from the Joomla France extensions directory.
The largest number of 404s were from the JED.

It also broke a large number of links from the forum, from Google, from within the template (lots of 404s on the text changer, and stuff).
To change this many links we should have a plan before making the change,
and the most common links should all be redirected before the change.

Also yesterday there was a period where JFTP errors and other errors were displaying in the front-end which upon some research appear they may have been from caching issues with Joom!Fish.

There has also been a noticeable performance hit.
The website has been much slower.
I was seeing as much as 12-15 seconds to load some pages (such as Extensions).

And it changed the links coming out of the tag cloud module to be even more odd.

The day after I installed Joom!Fish 2.1.7 a new version was released v 2.2.3.
To install this new version requires un-installing the old version.

When I un-installed v2.1.7 today, the website performance jumped back to what it was before.
The Extensions page now is back to loading in about 2 seconds instead of 10+ seconds.

So I think it is prudent to not use Joom!Fish at this time.
For a few FR articles in the FAQ - we had many broken incoming and internal links, slower performance for the entire website front-end, template function issues, etc., etc.

For now we can move the few FAQ articles into a separate FAQ (FR) category and avoid all these other issues.

Perhaps later after some better planning, and some better testing on a development website,
then we can make the move to using Joom!Fish if warranted.

Regards,

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #22042 by micker
Replied by micker on topic Joom!Fish issues
for futur a systeme to switch between flexicontent article is needed (actualy simply switch in category view)
do you this it important ?

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
12 years 3 months ago #22045 by kenmcd
Replied by kenmcd on topic Joom!Fish issues
In the future, yes, this may be important.
But right now to change the whole website URL structure for 5 items in French does not seem to make good business sense.

We always want to be thinking about having all our content organized and easy to find.
When there is more French content we will have have to be thinking about the best way to present it in the website navigation structure.

But right now Flexicontent.org is no where near being a multilingual website.
Right now there are only 4 FAQ items and 1 tutorial item in French.
So dealing with all multilingual website issues and all the URL transition issues at this time does not seem to be the best use of our time and effort.
We have so much other stuff still to do.

I added the FAQ (FR) category to the main menu.
So for right now it can be found there.

Perhaps we could add a category filter for language.
But I think it may be better to just have different categories.
Users are going to be one or the other so they should not have to filter-out what is not in their own language.
They can just pick the appropriate category.

Right now the primary language of the website is English and I doubt all the existing content is ever going to get translated to French to make this into a truly multilingual website.
That would be a major decision and a major job.

Right now we just have a few FAQ items in French.

As I said before, we can continue to look at this as the content grows and adjust as we grow.

More
12 years 3 months ago #22048 by micker
i am agree, it was just a word feature for georgios !
in a few day i finished faq item for joomfish / how to update .. and i will try translate other item
can i help you on most important things ?

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
12 years 3 months ago #22050 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Joom!Fish issues
Ken, you are right, it was not nice, well done

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 3 months ago #22055 by micker
i reminber a plugin for joomfish myabe a specific way...
he use the alias ... if alias are same the plugin link article in deferentes language
see it here
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.flexicontent.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php...lugin+joomfish#p3353 ">viewtopic.php?f=23&t=710&p=3353&hilit=plugin+joomfish#p3353
maybe an other solution ?
regards

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline