Couple of questions for first site

More
14 years 5 months ago #1061 by unleash.it
First of all, Flexicontent is quite the excellent component. I'm VERY impressed and I've at least tinkered with most of them.

I'm strongly considering using it as a large archival storage/information site for a fairly well known company. Everything about Flexicontent seems rock solid to me "so far". Are there any known issues that I should consider before using it on a production... although mainly back office site? It will have approximately 500-1000 pages with a lot of files (mostly PDFS)... possibly several file fields with multiple files per field.

Also, can you tell me if there's an advantage of using "Flexicontent" menu links as opposed to native Joomla? (I know at least having one is recommended). Just for reasons of backward compatibility, I like the idea of using Joomla links but not the end of the world if I can't. I don't really need the "alpha" row of links in my blog views if that's the primary reason.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #1066 by vistamedia
Hi,
Thanks for you message and first of all, welcome on board ;-)
Concerning the figures you give me, there's no problems in terms or performance (especially with the today upcoming beta5).
The biggest site I've running with flexi contains 20.000 articles, 1000 categories (that the most sensible point) and 30.000 payed subscribers. I runs of course on a dedicated server, but not especially powerful.
Concerning menu links, I'm not sure to understand your question correctly but If you wish the component to work properly it's HIGHLY recommended to create FLEXIcontent's menu link instead of standard article links.

To strip out the alpha rows of links, there's a simple parameter in the categories

Cheers,
Emmanuel.

FLEXIcontent lead developer.
www.vistamedia.fr web agency and custom development.
www.joomla.fr co-administrator.
Please no PM for support request, use the forum for that!!!

More
14 years 4 months ago #1100 by unleash.it
Definitely on board. Drank the flexi-Koolaide :D

Thanks for the answers. That is encouraging. I doubt we're going to approach those kinds of numbers, except maybe the large amounts of files. I agree... I think a dedicated server will probably help us...although we might try on a cheap server at first because I don't think this site is meant to get a whole lot of action.

As far as the menu items, I simply mean using Joomla's normal way of linking... as in choosing a new menu item and then Articles->Article Layout vs. Flexicontent->Single Item. At least on the front end, the effect seems to be the same and all custom fields appear either way. Also I notice even with the normal Joomla link, the url gets routed to com_flexicontent (instead of com_content).

The only reason I would want to choose the "Joomla" method is if for "some" reason, we ever needed to uninstall Flexicontent (god forbid!), that at least the menu links and the Joomla Article text would be in place. Really not a major concern. It sounds like you are saying menu items should always be made with the latter method I think... so that's what I'll do.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1102 by vistamedia
Just a small issue using this method : Your hits will be counted TWICE (as there is a redirect)
Cheers,
Emmanuel.

FLEXIcontent lead developer.
www.vistamedia.fr web agency and custom development.
www.joomla.fr co-administrator.
Please no PM for support request, use the forum for that!!!

More
14 years 4 months ago #1111 by unleash.it
Well, maybe a performance hit as well with the redirect. I'll stick with Flexicontent links. Thanks again.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline