Translation of category and field names

More
11 years 2 months ago #32982 by denniskobus
Do i realy need to ad falang or joomfish to translate category and (some) field names

I have a multilingal site were content differs per languages so for that i don't need extra extensions

Some core field labels can be translated per type, but that is only displayed in items, not in search or filter. And how about the custom fields?

How can i translate category name without duplicating (the extensive) category tree? My editors would prefer only selected the language flag

thanks, dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #32984 by ggppdk
About categories , the J2.5 way is to duplicate category structure per language, which i agree is not the best way.

Currently we have no built-in translations for Category or for custom fields you will have to use Falang or Joomfish

1. for CORE fields we added language translation too
-- because they are customizable per content Type which would make impossible for users to translating them via Falang or Joomfish,

thus it was obligatory to do,

but for custom fields if you need different name per content Type then you can create a different field and then translate it via Joomfish or Falang !

i guess, adding the same way for translating custom fields as is for CORE fields is desirable, because this way we will not need to use Joomfish or Falang,

We ll think of this

2. About Categories , adding translation built-in would be problematic because it would not be usable outside of FLEXIcontent , you see the problem?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 1 month ago #33656 by denniskobus
sorry for the late reply.
i had to make some deadlines first

for category names i have been able to workaround it via page title in the menu. i understand the point of backwards compatibility

the field names multi-lingual would still be very much appreciated

thanks, dennis

More
11 years 1 month ago #33658 by Rooney

denniskobus wrote: for category names i have been able to workaround it via page title in the menu. i understand the point of backwards compatibility

Why are you not duplicating categories? Even the new Joomfish is doing nothing differently. It just handles the associations between them. Do not use Falang because it is not supporting the native Joomla system and this system is getting better and better. I believe that FlexiContent will be able to support the language features in the future!

Actually, I think that the one of the few real enhancement (the backend is horrible in terms of usability. I hate it...) of Joomla 3 is the new multi-language system which also supports category and item associations: Languages in 3.0.3. What is new? community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... s-new.html

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

More
11 years 1 month ago #33665 by ggppdk
Hello Rooney,

for J2.5 we will add category associations

and for J3.0 we will take care that our association is in sync with J3.0

This should not be too much work to do.

Also i have not forgotten the listing of associating item translations in our backend manager when category / other filters are enabled

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 1 month ago #33675 by Rooney

ggppdk wrote: for J2.5 we will add category associations

and for J3.0 we will take care that our association is in sync with J3.0

This should not be too much work to do.

Also i have not forgotten the listing of associating item translations in our backend manager when category / other filters are enabled

This is all excellent news. To be honest if this is in place, nobody needs tools like Joomfish or other 3rd party components anymore. Thanks a lot!

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline