Template for Items Tagged With:...

More
14 years 2 months ago #3988 by ecf
As suggested in another thread, I have replicated the core Joomla "Front Page" functionality by assigning a "frontpage" tag to some articles. Using the menu type "tag" and selecting tag=frontpage does the trick, but I can't figure out how to manage the display of articles using this method.

Where is the template that controls "Items Tagged With..." and how can I replace the "Items Tagged With..." text with something else?

I have only been testing Flexicontent for a day or two and so far, it looks like a very versatile component. I look forward to more good things to come!

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #3990 by kenmcd
Not sure about exactly what you are trying to do.
But it sounds interesting.
Please post a link when you have it working.

There is no Tags view template at this time.
Take a look in:
\com_flexicontent_1.5_beta5\site\views\tags\tmpl\default.php
On the website that ends up here:
/com_flexicontent/views/tags/tmpl/default.php

The text is in the language file:
\com_flexicontent_1.5_beta5\site\language\en-GB.com_flexicontent.ini
Line 85

Please post a link.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4006 by ecf
Thanks for the prompt response. Ya gotta love any product that is enthusiastically supported!

I'm not doing anything fancy here, just following a suggestion here as a way to regain the Front Page function in core Joomla.

I'm using default Joomla sample data to test FlexiContent at this location. Is there any plan to add templating capability for the Tags View? Seems to me that would be logical considering everything else is controlled with templates.

Ed

More
14 years 2 months ago #4007 by ecf
I guess the best way to do this would be to create a Front Page category using the Blog template. I'm not sure why the post referenced earlier suggested that creating tags was the way to go, but maybe I'm missing something. The more we play with FlexiContent, the more we learn.

Ed

More
14 years 2 months ago #4016 by kenmcd
OK, now I see what you are doing.

Currently there is no FLEXIcontent feature replicating the Joomla frontpage feature.

I forgot I posted a feature request about this back in early January.
Feature Requests: Featured Items View
www.flexicontent.org/forum/index.php?f=30&t=598&rb_v=viewtopic
(you should add your voice there)

I called it Featured Items like in Joomla 1.6 (frontpage is gone).
In Joomla 1.6 you can now "feature" many more content types.
Instead of just articles you can now also feature contacts, weblinks, etc.
This is similar to FLEXIcontent multiple Item types.

I did look at this again just recently.
FLEXIcontent does use the the com_content table which means it should be possible to also link with the com_content_frontpage table where the frontpage item info is stored.
But right now FLEXIcontent has nothing in the Items interface to designate an item as frontpage or featured.
Perhaps if this were added it may be possible to modify a component like FrontPagePlus to work with FLEXIcontent.
Dunno.

If you look at the SVN there is lots of stuff happening, but I think it will be awhile before this particular issue could possibly be addressed.
So much other stuff to finish first.

This is an ongoing problem for users wishing to fully convert to FLEXIcontent.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4051 by ecf
To my original question regarding templating the tag view, I think that is something that users will require at some point and hopefully that is somewhere on the roadmap.

As for replicating current Joomla Front Page functionality, it seems to me that creating a category called Front Page and associating it with any desired article along with the primary category, is the answer. For users with existing websites, simply:

1)let FlexiContent import all articles
2)create the Front Page category using the Blog template
3)assign that category to all articles that were originally using the Joomla Front Page selection
4)modify the Home menu item to FlexiContent Category type and select Front Page as the category
5)modify additional menu items to reflect FlexiContent articles

That's really all the Joomla Front Page selection is, a sub-category type used for a specific purpose. Using FlexiContent provides the same functionality with the added benefit of complete control of the template.

I guess many things will change with J1.6, but I haven't even looked at where they are going with that. I looked at Joomla several years ago and gave up on it, choosing instead to work with DotNetNuke. While I still like the DNN platform and have several operational DNN sites, recently I thought I'd give Joomla another look and have been pleasantly surprised with what is now available.

Ed

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline