How do I sort categories?

More
14 years 2 months ago #4162 by bojames
When working with "categories" in the backend of Flexicontent, I can sort my list alphabetically by clicking on the categories column header. However, I can't "SAVE" the order after I sort it.

If I click on the "order" column header, and then try to rearrange the list order using the "up" and "down" arrows, they don't work. And, even if they did, this will surely take a long time to arrange the list - compared to "sorting alphabetically" and then saving it.

I am trying to save the list alphabetically so that when I am creating a new "item", I can select the category, it will belong to, easily from my an alphabetically ordered list - instead of some random order.

Can anyone help me with this?
:?
Thanks,
BoJames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4163 by orchid1
Replied by orchid1 on topic How do I sort categories?
here is what I would do:
get out the paper and pencil and manually order them by renumbering them and then saving the order
or write a PHP and SQL script to do it for you
this is not so much a flexicontent issue as a Joomla issue because the tables in the backend are the product of the Joomla API object "JTable"

I know its probably not what you wanted to hear but it is the best I can think of. Anyone else want to take a crack at a solution. I don't recommend altering the FLEXIcontent core code as it would be rendered useless during an upgrade

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” William A. Foster - USMC

More
14 years 2 months ago #4270 by bojames
Replied by bojames on topic How do I sort categories?
Thanks for your reply orchid1.

Well, the manual method you suggested is what I had to do. Rather time consuming and frustrating when you have several hundred categories.

I am fairly new to Joomla. I didn't realize Joomla was unable to accomplish, what I would think would be, a very simple task. However, I do not know programming, so I guess this is a complicated matter. :roll:

Do you know if there are any Joomla extensions that will make managing and sorting categories easier - as well as work with Flexicontent :?:

Thanks,
BoJames

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 1.308 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline