Starting with Flexicontent - the very basics

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #60894 by Anazititis
Hi there,
this is my first try to use Flexicontent and face a problem which i am sure is very easy to resolve, however i did not manage to overcome it, nor did i find anything about this in the tutorials - maybe because it is so basic.
I created a new (Joomla version 3.5.0) website and installed the latest Flexicontent version and the JCE editor - nothing else. I also changed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess, to get rid of that .index.php in urls.
I created two categories and added one item (article) in each category. Here i stuck. What do i have to do to see this new article on front end? I created the menu items on main menu and i think i did everything correct, but i cannot see the articles, i get error message 404 not found.

I noticed that a new menu, Flexicontent Hidden Menu was created automatically, what is this and how is it used?

Another thing i noticed, is the url: for Cyprus museums from the main menu on top, you go to the url 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/cyprus-museums , while if you use the Latest articles links to the right on home page, by clicking on Cyprus museums you go to the url 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyp...ums/2-cyprus-museums . Of course, for both urls i get the 404 Not Found Error message.
One last thing on this, those numbers in the urls , is there a way to get rid of them?

I understand that this should be the easiest thing to do, but i almost decided that Flexicontent is not for me, then thought to write here, please give me your lights :)
I am an experienced web master, but not very experienced with Joomla, less than a year experience, still i have already built 5-6 professional websites with it.
Website url is 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/

With best regards from Cyprus,
Charis Theocharous.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Anazititis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #60900 by ggppdk
Hello

the 404 not found error is not a FLEXIcontent issue

- if you use URL paths with ~username /VIRTUAL_DOMAIN/
(please check if you have renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess)

then only the component of YOUR HOME-PAGE will work
- only component that is working now in your site is Joomla article view

e.g. the Joomla users/login compoent will not work
just click "login" and you will see error 404
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/component/users/?view=login

E.g. if you click "joomla" tag, you will see error 404 for the Joomla tags view
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/component/tags/tag/2-joomla

Now if you change your HOME-PAGE to point to any type of FLEXIcontent view, then FLEXIcontent URLs will work
but better fix your URL path / htaccess file

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by ggppdk.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #60907 by Anazititis
Hi,
thank you very much, i did it and now all the pages work, however i still don't understand how things work.
From the latest articles links, i get different urls than from the menu on top, how is this happening?
On top, 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/cyprus-museums , while from the latest articles i get
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyp...ums/2-cyprus-museums
Same for the other page for Paphos museums i created. Now all links work, but i have 4 links for just two pages.
And the breadcrumb at the bottom of the page:
You are here: Home Paphos museums Paphos museums Paphos museums
Why do i have Paphos museums three times instead of one? I see that it is category-item-page (?) but i don't understand why we have this. Can i have a simple link?

Also, my other two related questions on this:

1) I noticed that a new menu, Flexicontent Hidden Menu was created automatically, what is this and how is it used?

2) Is there a way to remove the numbers from the Flexicontent pages, 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyp...ums/2-cyprus-museums , those numbers 8-cyprus-museums and then again 2-cyprus-museums.
I just want page names / links like the ones i get from the top menu.

Thanks and regards,
Charis.
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by Anazititis.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #60910 by ggppdk
Hello

-0-
about name appearing multiple times in the breadcrumb
You can search Joomla related forums, it is done by Joomla ...
- Joomla adds menu item, then we add category name, which are the SAME, thus you have same name

But we implemented a workaround for it
In component configuration make sure that inside TAB Redirection/SEF"
- enable "Create Pathways Automatically"
... or just disable Joomla breadcrumbs module

-1-
About hidden menu, we need at least 1 menu item, the created menu item is our DEFAULT,
we need a flexicontent menu item in the SEF URLs
- and if not other menu item is found for a URL, then it will be used ..., you can change the default ALIAS name which is 'content-page'

-2-
All Joomla URLs use the such IDS in the URLs, they are /ID-ALIASNAME/
it is normal
2 Ways to remove them
- Either create a Joomla menu item for EVERY category and EVERY item ....
- or use a "SEF" component if you believe it is very important not to have these numbers (they will not cause any problem with SEF urls anyway)

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by ggppdk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lipatovroman

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline