Starting with Flexicontent - the very basics

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #60894 by Anazititis
Hi there,
this is my first try to use Flexicontent and face a problem which i am sure is very easy to resolve, however i did not manage to overcome it, nor did i find anything about this in the tutorials - maybe because it is so basic.
I created a new (Joomla version 3.5.0) website and installed the latest Flexicontent version and the JCE editor - nothing else. I also changed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess, to get rid of that .index.php in urls.
I created two categories and added one item (article) in each category. Here i stuck. What do i have to do to see this new article on front end? I created the menu items on main menu and i think i did everything correct, but i cannot see the articles, i get error message 404 not found.

I noticed that a new menu, Flexicontent Hidden Menu was created automatically, what is this and how is it used?

Another thing i noticed, is the url: for Cyprus museums from the main menu on top, you go to the url http://181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/cyprus-museums, while if you use the Latest articles links to the right on home page, by clicking on Cyprus museums you go to the url 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyp...ums/2-cyprus-museums . Of course, for both urls i get the 404 Not Found Error message.
One last thing on this, those numbers in the urls , is there a way to get rid of them?

I understand that this should be the easiest thing to do, but i almost decided that Flexicontent is not for me, then thought to write here, please give me your lights :)
I am an experienced web master, but not very experienced with Joomla, less than a year experience, still i have already built 5-6 professional websites with it.
Website url is 181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/

With best regards from Cyprus,
Charis Theocharous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #60900 by ggppdk
Hello

the 404 not found error is not a FLEXIcontent issue

- if you use URL paths with ~username /VIRTUAL_DOMAIN/
(please check if you have renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess)

then only the component of YOUR HOME-PAGE will work
- only component that is working now in your site is Joomla article view

e.g. the Joomla users/login compoent will not work
just click "login" and you will see error 404
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/component/users/?view=login

E.g. if you click "joomla" tag, you will see error 404 for the Joomla tags view
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/component/tags/tag/2-joomla

Now if you change your HOME-PAGE to point to any type of FLEXIcontent view, then FLEXIcontent URLs will work
but better fix your URL path / htaccess file

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star review. Thanks!

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #60907 by Anazititis
Hi,
thank you very much, i did it and now all the pages work, however i still don't understand how things work.
From the latest articles links, i get different urls than from the menu on top, how is this happening?
On top, http://181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/cyprus-museums, while from the latest articles i get
181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyp...ums/2-cyprus-museums
Same for the other page for Paphos museums i created. Now all links work, but i have 4 links for just two pages.
And the breadcrumb at the bottom of the page:
You are here: Home Paphos museums Paphos museums Paphos museums
Why do i have Paphos museums three times instead of one? I see that it is category-item-page (?) but i don't understand why we have this. Can i have a simple link?

Also, my other two related questions on this:

1) I noticed that a new menu, Flexicontent Hidden Menu was created automatically, what is this and how is it used?

2) Is there a way to remove the numbers from the Flexicontent pages, http://181.224.135.158/~royalart/cims.com/8-cyprus-museums/2-cyprus-museums, those numbers 8-cyprus-museums and then again 2-cyprus-museums.
I just want page names / links like the ones i get from the top menu.

Thanks and regards,
Charis.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #60910 by ggppdk
Hello

-0-
about name appearing multiple times in the breadcrumb
You can search Joomla related forums, it is done by Joomla ...
- Joomla adds menu item, then we add category name, which are the SAME, thus you have same name

But we implemented a workaround for it
In component configuration make sure that inside TAB Redirection/SEF"
- enable "Create Pathways Automatically"
... or just disable Joomla breadcrumbs module

-1-
About hidden menu, we need at least 1 menu item, the created menu item is our DEFAULT,
we need a flexicontent menu item in the SEF URLs
- and if not other menu item is found for a URL, then it will be used ..., you can change the default ALIAS name which is 'content-page'

-2-
All Joomla URLs use the such IDS in the URLs, they are /ID-ALIASNAME/
it is normal
2 Ways to remove them
- Either create a Joomla menu item for EVERY category and EVERY item ....
- or use a "SEF" component if you believe it is very important not to have these numbers (they will not cause any problem with SEF urls anyway)

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star review. Thanks!

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
© 2018 Flexicontent. All Rights Reserved.