Import from K2?

More
13 years 11 months ago #6789 by piperchick
Import from K2? was created by piperchick
Has anybody developed a quick and easy way to import data from K2?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Lovin' FLEXIcontent at deadcanadians.ca
Dead Canadians: where are they now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #6796 by kenmcd
Replied by kenmcd on topic Import from K2?
Short answer: No

Long answer:
The main issue with transferring all content between various CCK components is the custom fields are, well, custom. This creates many different data structures so a simple one-fits-all transfer/import solution is not possible (or certainly not easy).

Some options . . .

Manual Database Transfer:
K2 stores the content in its own tables (not com_content tables like FLEXIcontent).
So you may be able to use phpMyAdmin (or similar database tool) to selectively export the data from the K2 tables and then import that data into the Joomla core jos_content table, and then import that content into FLEXIcontent like any other core content.

RSS Feed into Core Content:
The K2 component does have RSS feeds which can be imported into Joomla core articles using a component such as FeedGator .
FeedGator imports RSS feeds and converts them to core articles.
The K2 feeds on your own website can be fed into FeedGator and converted to core content articles.
Then import these articles into FLEXIcontent like any other core articles.

One of the major advantages of using FLEXIcontent is you are not stuck in an incompatible component and can go back to core content much more easily if you so desire.

More
13 years 11 months ago #6978 by piperchick
Replied by piperchick on topic Import from K2?
Thanks for your reply.

Thankfully I have not put too much into the K2 site before I realised that it isn't as flexible as it first appeared.

I have decided to bring my articles over one-at-a-time so that I can slowly tweak my FC set-up. I have another site that dies not use extra fields, so the RSS feed suggestion would be good for that site.

Thanks so much for your quick support and advice.

Lovin' FLEXIcontent at deadcanadians.ca
Dead Canadians: where are they now?

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline