Duplicate Content using flexicontent items in multiple cats

More
13 years 3 months ago #12889 by thatch10
For information

Joomla 1.5.22
Flexicontent version 1.5.3c stable (r354)
SH404SEF version 2.1.9.787
PHP 5.2.6
MySQL 5.0.77
Apache webserver 1.3.41

I have tried to ask this question before but probably didn't phrase it correctly and have seen other threads and bugs in the tracker relating to sh404 and flexicontent.

Config 1 (SH404SEF set to use sh404sef plugin if available)

I can not get flexi to give sef urls without duplicate content.

For example an item called fred with an item id of 67, in two categories, cat1 and cat2 results in the same content available from the urls

www.mysite.co.uk/cat1/fred.html and www.mysite.co.uk/cat2/fred.html

if I place the same article in 10 categories the content is duplicated 10 times.

To avoid creating the duplicate content in Config 2 I set the sh404 component to use component or 'core plugin' my url for the content is now

www.mysite.co.uk/item/67-fred.html with no duplicate content.

This is a compromise and ideally would like to see the flexicontent urls for items in multiple categories more configurable. I would imagine that as long as item titles or alias's were unique my preferential url format would be

www.mysite.co.uk/fred.html

is this possible and I cant find the settings in Flexicontent, does it need more configuration options in sh404 as normal com_content has.

Many thanks in advance

Thatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #12891 by kenmcd
Moderator note: not a bug, moved from Bugs forum

All multi-category components have multiple URLs to the same content item/article.
This includes FLEXIcontent, Sobi2, and many others.

In core Joomla itself it is relatively easy to create multiple URLs to the same content from other components, from modules, and from plug-ins.

This is simply the way Joomla works.

SEF components can help manage this situation by enabling users to decide which URL is the "right" one to use for a particular content item.
Usually this is a manual process where the "wrong" URLs are turned-off leaving the right one.
Sometimes this is an automatic process.
This depends on the capabilities of the particular SEF component and on the SEF plug-in for a particular component such as FLEXIcontent.
These two things control what you can do to configure or manage your URLs.

It is my understanding that the FLEXIcontent SEF plug-in for sh404SEF is supposed select the Primary category link as the default "right" link for the SEF URL.
I have no idea if this plug-in and/or sh404SEF actually do this properly.

Your best bet would be to ask sh404SEF support if this is working properly, and how to set it up to do so.

More
13 years 3 months ago #12894 by yopyop001
Hello,

You can try to use the file in the post :
www.flexicontent.org/forum/index ... pic#p11199

Regards

More
13 years 3 months ago #12902 by thatch10
@kenmcd

I posted in the sh404 forum at the same time to try and make some progress dev.anything-digital.com/Forum/sh404SEF/...EF-and-Flexicontent/

@yopyop001

tried the file locally and with the SEF404 component set to use the plugin menu links went to the home page for category view. Need to spend some more time testing and I'll get back to you

More
13 years 3 months ago #12907 by yopyop001
Hi,

I have found some bugs, for multilingual site.

Please make some tests without the option 'translate url' In SH404 Configuration > By component > Flexicontent.

I have to make more tests before updating the plug-in.

Regards

More
13 years 3 months ago #12950 by thatch10
Got weird things happening on my local host. No options from main menu unless I publish the menu down the side as well as along the top. using a Joomlarts template with the mega menus, so maybe that is causing confusion, however when I enable the main menu to a left position as well as along the top, I get the duplicate content with 2 urls pointing to the same article.

No multi language so its not that causing the problem

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline