Item ID in SEF URL started to appear

More
12 years 7 months ago #19353 by bobthebob01
Hi,

my site is running on joomla 1.5.23 and Flexicontent 1.5.5 stable (r607) with Joomla! default SEF URL enable running.
Everytime i was creating an item, the URL did not have the item ID as a prefix for the item name. URL look great.

But without any changes to flexicontent, besides css changes, i now have the item id showing.
before: domain.com/category-name/item-name.html
now: domain.com/category-name/ID-item-name.html
("ID" being the item id number obviously)
I just moved it from a subdomain during development to the root to be the main site.

does anybody know why?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #19530 by ggppdk
You provided 2 URLs.

The first URL without the item id is a url that includes 2 parts, both parts are menu item aliases
- one menu item alias (points to a FLEXIcontent category)
- one menu item alias (points to a FLEXIcontent item)

The second URL with the item id is a url that include 2 parts,
- first part is a menu item alias (points to a FLEXIcontent category)
- second part is the FLEXIcontent item id with its item alias (FCitemID-FCitemALIAS)

About second URL, joomla will know by the first part (the menu item that points FLEXIcontent category)
- that this URL must be handled by component com_flexicontent,
- then it will be given to the FLEXIcontent without the first part

- there the URL handling code of FLEXIcontent will know because of length (one part length) that it is URL that points to a FLEXIcontent item
- then the FLEXIcontent code will extract FLEXIcontent item ID and display the item

The first URL was created like that because a menu item that point to FLEXIcontent item was found

The second URL was created like that because a menu item that point to FLEXIcontent item was NOT found, thus we need to use FLEXIcontent item ID

If you want a URL like the first one please create a menu item that points to the FLEXIcontent item and also make sure you PUBLISH this menu item !!!

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 6 months ago #19550 by bobthebob01
Again: thank you ggpdk for the clear explanation.

I now understand why i was getting the ID in the URL for a new items when the old ones did not have it in their URLs.

Simply because i hadn't created the menu item for these new ones yet.

Thanks again.

Bob

More
12 years 6 months ago #19551 by bobthebob01
I was thinking. Wouldn't be a way to to always have the item URL to dynamically point to a menu item to avoid having the ID showing in the URL?

That's just a question throw out of the blue.

More
12 years 6 months ago #19564 by ggppdk
Actually i don't think is bad to have id there, it doesn't look bad.

Plus to put code for this to create a menu item per item maybe too much (an exaggeration) although maybe not a bad idea.

We have some plans to create a pathway that is like:
topcategory1_name/subcategory2_name/subcategory3_name/item_name
or use menu items like it is being done now

when implementing the above, i will examine your suggestion too, but i don't think will add such code

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 6 months ago #19568 by bobthebob01
well, i guess it would be a good/interesting discussion/poll to have: what is and should be a good/friendly URL.

I think the fact that FC is already generating canonical urls is already a major plus as oppose to other extensions.

The ID was bothering mainly for a specific section of a site. But for its blog section, i don't really mind seeing the ID in the URL.
And since i created menu item for the specific section. It's all good on my side anyways.

Cheers again for one of my favorite and most useful extensions out there.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline