FE Category view: Cannot show items in Default order

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #26949 by gruz
The Default setting is never respected. It show items ordered by title. The default order has empty value.
Here is the category settings screen:
[img

In the model
components/com_flexicontent/models/category.php line about 430 we have a block which sets ordering:
Code:
if ($params->get('orderby')) {

So due to the empty "Default" value the ordering i.ordering is never set.

So I suggest to add the following "else" block to line about 477:
Code:
else { $filter_order = 'i.ordering'; $filter_order_dir = 'ASC'; }

This means, that if not ordering set, this will use the Default ordering.

J2.5
FC - 2.0 - Rev 1612 (since 17-00 30.12.2012)
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by gruz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #26952 by ggppdk
mmm, currently default order is 'i.title ASC' ("by Title Incrementing") ... and we could defined what is "the default order" with a new FLEXIcontent Global parameter in the category parameters subsection

-- For ITEMS ordering by ordering numbers, it is 'rel.ordering' and not 'i.ordering', we did this because an item maybe belong to 3 categories:
e.g
- Trucks
- Special offers
- Best value

and in each category the item can have different ordering number !

In items manager we filter by a specific category (without including subcats) and then set ordering number of the items

-- For FIELDs, which belong to multiple Content Types and in each edit form for each Content Type e.g. article, hotel, automobile, the field can have different order of appearance in the item edit form.

In fields manager tab we filter by a specific Content Type and then set ordering of the fields that belong to the currently "selected" Content Type.

-- We have a FAQ article for this, but i think we should update make one for fields too
- Plus put some in-line help, as usually it is not clear what is happening

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 9 months ago #26954 by ggppdk
I forgot to say that the last option in the ordering parameters is the "Configured Ordering" which uses the ordering numbers ;)

Again your post makes me think if we should 3 new parameters in Global Configuration for defining what the should be the "Default" ordering for category / tags / favorites views.

What you think?

Also, i have opened this issue not to forget:
code.google.com/p/flexicontent/i ... ail?id=482

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
11 years 9 months ago #26955 by gruz
Sorry againg for the false alarm. Thanks for patience!

So to set my ordering in a category I have to:
- Set category ordering to "Configured ordering|
[img

- Filter Items in backend to show ONLY the category items WITHOUT sub-categories. Set ordering.
[img

Thanks once more!

Yes, the "Default" ordering should be changed to "Use global" to inherit some ordering.

My case should be documented somewhwere with inline help. I didn't have an idea to google for it. But maybe that's because I know it's a development version and I always suspect a bug in the code. Even if the bug is in my understanding.

J2.5
FC - 2.0 - Rev 1612 (since 17-00 30.12.2012)

More
11 years 9 months ago #26956 by ggppdk
gruz, thanks for all your feedback
-- actually things are even more complex than someone would first imagine

the thing about ordering in FLEXIcontent is that we have multi category assignments as we discussed above, so behavior is different than Joomla, and this is not obvious in the interface,

It should be at least as it is in Fields manager tab, where the title of the ordering column changes when you filter by Type, and i will also add a note at the the bottom of the views

-- Also since you opened this topic:
I am thinking in the case of subcategory items to be able to save the order of subcategories items, because selecting every category individually is cumbersome

e.g. So when click to sort via the ordering column, we should be able to view all subcategory items grouped together, e.g. first the items of the category, then the items of each subcategory ordered by their subcategory ordering number, so clicking save order will save the orderings of the categories and all it's subcategories,

The issue in this case is that we should make every item appear multiple times (it will appear multiple times only when ordering by order column), as many times as the categories it belongs too ... but warn user for this since this does not happen in standard Joomla where article belong only to one category.

Maybe we should put clear marking where a category ends to make easier for user to understand what is happening.

Bug Tracker enhancement issue:
code.google.com/p/flexicontent/i ... ail?id=316

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline