Category param to submit filters form after selecting values

More
12 years 3 months ago #21942 by bittingbits
As of version 2.0 RC3, FC still submits thefilters form above the category when a value from a select list is selected. The intention is to narrow down the list sequentially, plain to see.
Nevertheless, under certain circumstances it is preferable to combine values from several filters first and only then perform the query.
The current sequential approach cn be tiresome when there are half a dozen filters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #21946 by ggppdk
This was always the behavior of the form, autosubmit on filter change

NOTE: The category form is very much improved lately (you will needed to use the updated new template to benefit from this)

This is from a post of mine in the v2.x testing Forum Thread:
index.php?f=20&t=3604&rb_v=viewtopic&start=270#p21775
-- 2. Filters are now able to show only available values category view according to current filtering/search/alpha-index. This is controlled via a new category parameter and it is implemented for all custom fields, not yet for core fields
-- 3. Fixed/improved behavior of category filtering form
(search box, alpha-index, filters and URL combine together consistently and smoothly).

I guess, we could add an option to allow submition of form manually. Of course this you would mean that yo cannot have the option of showing only available filter values.

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 3 months ago #21995 by bittingbits
In certain cases it really makes more sense to run the query only after one is done with cross referencing criteria from different select lists.
Here's an example use case. Imagine a B2B video content directory with thousands of entries classified by type, genre, subgenre, country, time slot, language, platform rights, territorial rights and on and on...
Now imagine a user who wants to access only items in English, lasting less than 15 minutes, produced in Russia, authorised to broadcast in Asia via satellite. The pain of making this selection on the go can be really disruptive if from the very beginning he user has most of the search parameters in mind.

Back in 2010 we created a module to deliver this type of "select first then search" behaviour, but we feel it would be better to have such option built on.

More
12 years 3 months ago #21997 by ggppdk
Yes, i know and it makes sense to have this,
and it seems easy to change, i hope there will be no implications

We will add a new category parameter at the filters section not to autosubmit the form, when this parameter is enabled the reset & submit buttons will be forced to appear.

I opened an issue as defect to make sure that we implement:
code.google.com/p/flexicontent/i ... ail?id=352

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline