multiple categories view

More
14 years 2 months ago #4079 by bittingbits
It would be very handy to have a view where more than one category could be combined.

Right now we have some items which belong to more than one category and we would want to show them under the following condition:

-Items of Type K belonging to Category X AND Category Y.

Use case:

A PDF file which belongs to "Web Development" and "Downloads" at the same time.

If one could cross reference item types and categories, this kind of need would be addressed as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4091 by orchid1
Replied by orchid1 on topic multiple categories view
Super Duper Ultra FLEXI FLEXIcontent
mix and match everything with everything
WOW
that would be a feat of php architecture
i'de love to see it
Cheers

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” William A. Foster - USMC

More
14 years 2 months ago #4095 by bittingbits
It sure does sound a bit over the edge, but it would solve scenarios in which one wants to list items of a certain type by category, at least.
Right now we are left no choice but to create redundant subcategories to represent item types.

Of course i could use a download manager for the files. There are countless (mostly bloated).
However, anything outiside Flexicontent feels like a downgrade these days :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #4097 by kenmcd
Replied by kenmcd on topic multiple categories view
What about using a "Type K" tag for this?

More
14 years 2 months ago #4100 by bsky92
Replied by bsky92 on topic multiple categories view
About the tag use in this case, this is how I solved this type of problem, but then I can't get the tag template to look cool or the same way I got the usual categories templates working :(

More
14 years 2 months ago #4102 by mark_bk
Replied by mark_bk on topic multiple categories view
This might be worth one of the devs looking into.

I'm testing Jxtended Finder on a K2 site, Finder has a couple of features called 'search filters' and 'content mapping', which may be able to achieve the effect requested here.

Search Filters can be pre-defined by the admin and display content based on criteria such as author, category, tags and so on - it can filter and display items from across different categories based on tag alone.

I've not progressed onto the mapping feature yet but it has been described as:

'Simply put, the content maps are attributes applied to a piece of content that could be used to filter results. For a standard article, this could be the section, category, or author. For a contact, it could the state or country. For a car it could be the make, model, color, etc. Finder picks up different attributes for different types of content.' (Rob Schley).

At the moment it does not support Flexi, although K2 and Zoo are catered for. Perhaps some 'dev to dev' discussion may resolve this.
Mark

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline