com_content sublayer - background or why did you...

More
14 years 4 months ago #1743 by pepperstreet
Hello,
first of all, I really like your project and the VERY fast progress. Amazing, no doubt. My following technical question is just for personal interest. I have some relational DB knowledge and i know different languages from my first "career"... a long time ago ;-)

Nowadays, i am more a designer and fortunately the opensource market allows me to concentrate on other things than coding. But i am still interested in the backgrounds. It´s hard to get rid of old habits and getting used to new ones ;-)

Finally the question...:
I wonder, why it is so difficult to add a CCK feature to the original com_content? Is it really impossible? I mean, i see so many different approaches and solutions. Each developer seems to have a different technique. IMHO the unlimited nested categories is not sooo important, if you have a good tagging solution. I remember JXtended labels, which is added onto com_content. Why can´t this be done with custom fields and extra datatables?! I guess, the custom type submission and administration HAS TO BE a new component, right?

Is everything tied together in joomla's code or what is the biggest problem? Was it really necessary to build upon a new com_content?

Thanks for listening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1754 by phattpat
There is actually a CCK out at the moment which does insert directly into the com_content.

Its by jSeblod and its at RC stage 4 at the moment but looks very promising. I'm debating about which one to use for my current project, Flexi or jSeblod.. its neck and neck.

have a look and compare yourself
www.jseblod-cck.com

More
14 years 4 months ago #1755 by pepperstreet
@phattpat

i know that solution as well. To be honest, i don´t like it. It uses the content html field and that has an affect on all content display modules etc.
I was thinking of a DB relation or extension, which connects an article with extra data. Somrthing that does not alter or change the basic content.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #5796 by ssnobben
Pls dont compare apples and pears!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #5801 by pepperstreet

ssnobben wrote: Pls dont compare apples and pears!

???
I think we are going off-topic. I didn't want to compare features or why to choose one or another. Maybe my first post was a bit unclear, cause i am struggling with the english language and right terms ;-)

jSeblod:
At the moment i wrote this initial post, the product was in a total different shape and version. Maybe this is why you mentioned "apples and pears". That was not my initial intention of that post.

Back to the topic...: Technique and background for a Joomla CCK
I would like to here some thoughts from Emmanuel/vistamedia.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline