New to FlexiContent. Not sure what I can do with it.

More
12 years 11 months ago #16087 by 344kellogg
I'm new to both Joomla and FlexiContent. I'm trying to wrap my head around what is and isn't possible with a CCK like FlexiContent. I have several questions that I'm hoping the community can answer:

1. What kind of learning curve is there with FlexiContent? I've been playing around with Seblod and K2. Seblod is a pain, but apparently it does everything you can think of. K2 seems relatively straightforward. Does anyone have experience with those other CCKs?

2. I have two websites that I'm wanting to build and I need to know if FlexiContent will allow me to create what I need. The first website is a real estate website. Every home listing will have a series of fields: Large picture, along with other gallery pictures, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, year built, MLS number, etc. I'm guessing there might be up to 20 or 30 fields. Every listing will have all of that information. However, the only time you should see all of that information in one place would be on what I'm calling the "detail" page. Other sections of the website will have the home listed, but it won't show all of the information. For example, on the splash page, I might have a list of the 5 most recent home listings. And the only thing that shows up is a thumbnail picture of the home. Nothing else. When you click on the home it takes you to the detail page. On another section of the website, I might have a list of homes in a certain zip code. This list is different than the splash page list. Instead of just showing the thumbnail, it would show a larger thumbnail on the left, the home address on the right, the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and a brief, modified description of the property. An example would be like this page: www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web . On the top there are some featured homes. The layout, look and feel is completely different than the alternative list of homes below. When you click on any of the homes, either in the features section or the list below, they take you to the "detail" page that provides all of the information. That's essentially what I'm curious if FlexiContent allows us to do.

I'm really just trying to get a feel for what flexibility FlexiContent has with regards to creating custom fields and how those fields can be organized and laid out on different sections of the website. I need to be able to take the raw information and present it however I need to depending on the section of the website someone is looking at.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #16089 by bsky92
so you're new to joomla and flexicontent, but I assume you're not totally new to building a website ?

If so, if you can get around basic site construction, can draw on paper what you want and how you want it, Flexicontent should be good for you.

You organize the structure of your site, the fields you want, and then can have them dispayed in different ways for different purposes

But then you first need to know what you want to do and how you want it to look, and you need to know the basics of Joomla

Ask precise questions when you are so far, we'll try to help

More
12 years 11 months ago #16091 by 344kellogg
Thanks for the reply. I'm very familiar with creating websites. I'm just new to Joomla. I'm learning my way around the system.

I'm actually wanting to create a website directory (I won't go into the details right now). But I have a pretty specific layout that I want to accomplish.

I guess another question that I have is if I have a bunch of data in a spreadsheet, is there a good way to get that data into Joomla and populate a bunch of FlexiContent articles?

More
12 years 11 months ago #16094 by micker
actualy you can'y import by a csv or other file into flexicontent ... sorry
but a composant is in plan by netassopro
regards

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
12 years 11 months ago #16103 by 344kellogg
Do you know if systems like K2 allow you to import bulk data? I'm sure companies need to do that all the time. So I'm sure there is a way to do it.

More
12 years 11 months ago #16104 by micker
netassopro do this
blog.netassopro.com/fleximport-l ... xicontent/
it will be comming (some weeks)
regards

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline