Category view - show items in subcategories

More
14 years 4 months ago #1829 by WebDesignHero
The way I am looking at implementing Flexicontent beyond just articles is in a DB way. I currently have a top level category called "Glossary" with many specific glossaries underneath it. When you visit the top level glossary page, there are no items there because they are all in subcategories. I think it would be nice if i could automatically list children-item down X levels of the hierarchy, so I can see all of the glossary items no matter which specific glossary they are in.

Looking at other possible solutions. I could put everything in one glossary and create a filtering field to differentiate or I could also manually add every glossary item to the parent categories manually as secondary categories, but this could cause management headaches later if there is some kind of reorganization.

Looking for comments or code modes, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3173 by vlester
I think you could do what you're looking for with the Directory menu of Flexicontent.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3218 by Rooney
Nope. Don't think so. There have been several questions like this...

E.g.: www.flexicontent.org/forum/index ... =viewtopic

Would be great to have a solution.

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

More
14 years 3 months ago #3231 by vlester
I solve this problem by using a News Module.
I create a category "A" but with no items in it, then a Flexicontent menu (type category) that points to this category "A".
Then I create a new module of NEWS (I use JA NEWS) and make it display on the category A Menu.
In this module, you can display all the categories you want with their items, just their title or the full text.

I do this for my frontpage but also for the menus with sublevels.

JA News is not free unfortunately but may be you can find another free News Module that will do it.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3236 by WebDesignHero
Ideally, this would be coded as a simple option. the problem is that no one uses nested sets ( dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/art ... -data.html ) which give you the decendants in one database call, and its a paint to recurse a tree with paret-id based relationships.

However, you sparked an idea in my mind that we can modify the view to do the children recursing, then have an option to specify how many levels deep and use the technique with the JOINs for Adjacency List on the page above, unfortunately you cannot just have it do unlimited traversing without a loop and multiple db queries which is not good. This would be a good menu based solution I guess, but I don't like relying on menu options. Perhaps it could be an option in the category settings to traverse down X number of levels.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3294 by Rooney

vlester wrote: In this module, you can display all the categories you want with their items, just their title or the full text.

The problem here is that you cannot display Flexicontent only fields...

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 1.205 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline