Estimated release date [v1.5.6 for J1.5 v2.0 for J1.7]

More
12 years 6 months ago #19860 by don
Any idea when we can expect to see the final versions of Flexicontent 1.5.6 & 2.0??

Its been a while that they have been in development.

Also, does Emmanuel still contribute to the development? I see ggppdk seems to be the main person behind these latest versions and seems to be contributing a lot of work and code to the project.

Anyway, I really need to install the latest version as still running on 1.5.4 but its not very fast (and i know a lot of improvements have been made to page speed since then).

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #19861 by ggppdk
(v1.5.6 final at end of month?)
(v2.0 final ???)

About latest beta of v2.0 for J1.7 is mostly OK but not finished yet particularly ACL.

About latest beta of v1.5.6 for J1.5, it does not seem to have any serious bugs. I could freeze current beta and call it stable or RC (Release Candidate), but i want a couple of more things to add ...

Plus it has many bug-fixes and of course
-- improvements: in performance (huge in long category views), in templates (various new parameters), in universal module (new powerful features, like scopes and the ability to skip items, and new easily understandable layout of parameters), in fields (image, select, select multiple field ... etc)
-- new field: related items
-- new template: faq
-- workflow improved: added sliders in backend, renamed states, fixed a couple of bugs, and (in final v1.5.6) , user notices about saving loading unapproved versions and basic (or not basic) email notifications of new / modified (revised) items
-- new features:
(a) ultra - powerful alpha-index
(b) backend author management and frontent menu items -author- and -my items-
(c) advance search feature

and other i forget now ... see changelog of beta for more ..

Only concerns are
(a) maybe some changes in behavior compared to v1.5.4 particularly in the URLs there might be some changes, due to some fixes.
(b) your templates (default, blog) will be overwriten with the impoved versions that use the new features like the new alpha index, your existing templates will not respond to some of the new features, you would have to copy code from the new templates if you need the new features.
(c) the new advance search feature is not 100% complete, it was written by enjoyman and i made some improvements in frontend/backend speed and user friendly and support for core fields like tags

So you can use it. But better backup first or test on copy on dev server, to see if you have any undesired behavior (i don't speak of bugs but rather changed behavior ?)

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 6 months ago #19864 by xmac
When I build a new site with Joomla 1.7, can I use flexicontent with basic functions and the possibilitie to update to newer and stable versions?

More
12 years 6 months ago #19865 by ggppdk
About final v2.0

Access Control may need some work.
Your permissions may be lost ...

Regards

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
12 years 6 months ago #19921 by don
its good to hear that v1.5.6 is very close to being finished.

But seeing that there may be some issues with upgrading, that will require some manual work, along with the fact that Joomla 1.5 is end of life early next year, i'm now kind of thinking that it might be better to wait for Flexicontent 2.0 and then upgrade my site to Joomla 1.7 or Joomla 2.5 and go that way. That way i will be completely up to date and i wont have to go through manual work twice.

Perhaps its not a good idea to invest much more time into Flexicontent 1.5.6 then and focus on 2.0?

More
12 years 6 months ago #19922 by ggppdk
As i said v1.5.6 is a stable, with a lot of bug fixes and new features, but may require some work if you had done customizations of THE standard templates.

In general you could just upgrade and then overwrite the NEW standard templates, with your existing ones which you have backuped up.

In general it is better not to change the standard templates (default,blog,faq), but instead duplicate them and then change.

Your custom templates will not use some of the new options, like the new alpha index.

If you don't have problems or don't need new features then you may choose not to upgrade

Regards

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline