Public author profile with list of articles written by him

More
12 years 3 months ago #21521 by gcprnet
I have about 50 authors on my site and they would like to have a link on the bottom of their articles that links to some kind of profile page with some info about the author and a list of all articles the particular author has written for our site.
I had a look at the author menu item which doesn't seem to be the function I need. Also I checked out the universal content module which may be suitable but I got stuck here since I have no idea how to tell the module to pick all the articles that are written by the autor of a particular article.
Could someone pls point me into the right direction if the universal content module is suitable for what I want to do or if it is not the right thing, could anyone please tell me how I can accomplish this?
Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #21544 by ggppdk
What i will write, applies for the new v1.5.6
You go to author manager tab and:
-- A. Set to use default template (which displays a compact list of items)

-- B. for describing author you can use
a. a FLEXIcontent item
b. cummunity builder profile (not implemented yet)
c. joomla contact info (not implemented yet)

For (b) you could do it now by triggering CB profile plugin in your category_category.php file or in category_items.php file

To create the link to author items, put this in your item.php of your template:
Code:
<?php $cid = JRequest::getInt('cid',0); if ($cid) { $authoritemslink = JRoute::_("index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=category&cid=0&layout=author&authorid=".$this->item->created_by); echo "<a href='$authoritemslink' alt='".JText::_('Author Items')."'>".JText::_('Author Items').""; } ?>

For making link, we plan to make a field or add new parameter in item type ...

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 3 months ago #21565 by gcprnet
Cool, thanks!
I'll try it out tomorrow and post back :-)
Regards

More
12 years 3 months ago #21581 by gcprnet
OK, I got it working somehow now:
I upgraded to the latest FC 1.5.6_RC2a_r1057 from code.google.com and then I added the code you provided but then I got an error 500: layout author not found.
When I looked at the link that was generated I figured that the routing part seemed not to work properly because the url that was created looked a bit funny:
Code:
http://www.domain.com/erneuerbare-energien/geothermie/0?layout=author&authorid=147
Hardcoding the link without JRoute:: helped but now the url is not SEF anymore :-(
Code:
"/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=category&cid=0&layout=author&authorid=".$this->item->created_by
Also the page I get now doesn't look very nice: Where can I find the template that's responsible for the output? I want to get rid of the alpha index, I want to increase the number of articles per page and I want to add the intro-text to the output (so that it looks a bit like the SERPs)
Best Regards

More
12 years 3 months ago #21584 by ggppdk
1. When displaying author items list (all or on an specific category) then the category parameters are configurable via the author manager tab !!!,

So go to to the backend author manager tab and click to edit the author, there you can set which template to use and also override all category parameters,

2. For describing author you can use
-- a. a FLEXIcontent item (create a seperate category for holding author description items),
-- b. or you can edit category_category.php or category_items.php and trigger the community builder content plugin that show the user profile (i dont't have the code handy now but it is not difficult, i will add an option and code for this as soon as find time to look up what the plugin triggering text is)

Regards

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
12 years 3 months ago #21585 by ggppdk
For the SEF link to work create do this:
Goto FLEXIcontent Hidden menu or any other menu that is not displayed and create a new menu item to FLEXIcontent category, do not select any category and click to save this menu item

Because the name of the menu item will appear in breadcrub and the menu alias will appear in the url use appropriate name and alias e.g.
Title: Author Items
Alais: author-items

The SEF URL will be:
www_domain_com/author-items/?layout=author&authorid=147

I will put code to create this menu item automatically on installation

Regards

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline