Make my website bilingual

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 1 day ago #66872 by hervemlam
Hello,

Now that my website is well and growing, I'd like to make it bilingual (English/French). Big good project, isn't it? :unsure:
Has any of you already experimented this?

I've found one or two Joomla tutorials for that, and I'm going to follow them.

However, I certainly will have Flexi questions on the topic.
For instance, this one:
How can I translate the labels of my fields, as well as the Opening text for Field?

Thanks for your help and advice.
HervE

PHP 8.1.16
Joomla! 4.3.3
FLEXIcontent 4.1.5
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by hervemlam. Reason: Solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #66874 by bytekulturmaya
For the Flexi Fields (Label) you can easy write a uniq name (like NAME_LABEL) and then go to
Extensions > Language(s) >Overrides
select the Site language you want, and make a new overrite. for the "Language Constant" you now can use the NAME_LABEL... that works very well (you also should make the override for the admin - then it shows the label nice when you editing the site throu the backend)

for the categories you can use Falang, thats very easy -

or, i'm not 100% sure if it works, but you also should be able to use an override in the flexi templates and also use the joomla translations
Code:
<?php $cattitle=$this->escape($this->category->title); echo JText::_($cattitle); ?>
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by bytekulturmaya. Reason: tipp for backend laben
The following user(s) said Thank You: hervemlam

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #66875 by micker
Replied by micker on topic Make my website bilingual
use native multilangue (joomla)
flexicontent is compatible

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #66969 by hervemlam
Replied by hervemlam on topic Make my website bilingual
Hello,

bytekulturmaya wrote: For the Flexi Fields (Label) you can easy write a uniq name (like NAME_LABEL) and then go to
Extensions > Language(s) >Overrides
select the Site language you want, and make a new overrite. for the "Language Constant" you now can use the NAME_LABEL... that works very well (you also should make the override for the admin - then it shows the label nice when you editing the site throu the backend)

Thanks. Looks fine.

or, i'm not 100% sure if it works, but you also should be able to use an override in the flexi templates and also use the joomla translations

Code:
<?php $cattitle=$this->escape($this->category->title); echo JText::_($cattitle); ?>

Haven't checked yet with JText and this kind of code, but I'll have to. (For Opening text for instance, it may be the only way.)

Also, what about tags? I can't see a language property in the tags! Do I have to duplicate them in both languages? Or is there a "magical plug-in" to add the language property to the tags?

Good night.
HervE

PHP 8.1.16
Joomla! 4.3.3
FLEXIcontent 4.1.5

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #66971 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Make my website bilingual
Hello

Also, what about tags? I can't see a language property in the tags!

we will transition flexicontent TAGs to Joomla tags in near future, currently language properyty is not supported in FLEXIcontent tags

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
7 years 1 day ago #67161 by hervemlam
Replied by hervemlam on topic Make my website bilingual
Hello,

Just to inform you of what I did - if anybody's interested.

a) Field > Viewing > Thumbnails > Opening text for Field =
Code:
<span id="my_field" class="flexi label field_my_field"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(Joomla.JText._('MY_FIELD'));</script></span><br />

b) Extensions > Language(s) > Overrides
MY_FIELD=Label of my field
INFO_MY_FIELD=Description of my field that I want to appear on my mouse over

c) In a PHP file (index.php of my template for instance):
In the <?php part of the beginning:
Code:
JText::script('MY_FIELD'); JText::script('INFO_MY_FIELD');
And at the end just before the </body> tag:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">document.getElementById('my_field').setAttribute('title', Joomla.JText._('INFO_MY_FIELD'));</script>

You can see an example of my result here: japprecie.raidghost.com/en/kaleo-a-b

Good night.
HervE

PHP 8.1.16
Joomla! 4.3.3
FLEXIcontent 4.1.5

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline