[SOLVED, added workaround for browser auto-complete] Author manager, user edit form asks to confirm password on every save ?

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #58443 by norm1973
Hi. Maybe a silly question but I can't seem to find out the answer.

When using the Author Manager in Flexicontent backend, before saving any configuration changes for a particular author/user Joomla (3.4.5) will ask to "confirm password." The Super User has only access to the users encrypted password and so it is impossible to save these changes..... unless I am missing something!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by ggppdk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #58444 by ggppdk
Hello

tested just now, it does not ask
which version do you have ? (always mention this !!)

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #58472 by norm1973
Thanks. FLEXIcontent v3.0.9-2015_11_17 (v3.0.9-rc4), however, this is not a Flexicontent error.

What was occuring was the password box was being filled by browser autofill.

Solved by removing any entries in the password or confirm password boxes and then the item will save (or by removing autofill)

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #58479 by ggppdk
Hello

yes i have seen this myself too
no clean solution for instructing browser not to do this on this page (or do you have one to suggest ?)

i am quoting an answer from
stackoverflow.com/questions/2530/how-do-...form-field-input-tag

Most of the major browsers and password managers (correctly, IMHO) now ignore autocomplete=off.

Why? Many banks and other "high security" websites added autocomplete=off to their login pages "for security purposes" but this actually decreases security since it causes people to change the passwords on these high security sites to be easy to remember (and thus crack) since autocomplete was broken.

Long ago most password managers started ignoring autocomplete=off, and now the browsers are starting to do the same for username/password inputs only.

Unfortunately bugs in the autocomplete implementations insert username and/or password info into inappropriate form fields, causing form validation errors, or worse yet, accidentally inserting usernames into fields that were intentionally left blank by the user

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
8 years 5 months ago #58517 by norm1973
Thanks, yes a contentious topic and literally dozens of suggested hacks.

In checking further this may apply only to Firefox - I have checked on Chrome, IE and Edge it doesn't occur.

What I have observed however is that in the native Joomla 3.4.5 User Manager the autocomplete does not occur, i.e. for the same user tested in the Flexicontent User Manager where the autocomplete does occur.

The Joomla User Manager does use:
<div class="controls">
<input type="text" style="display:none">
<input type="password" name="jform[password]" id="jform_password" value="" autocomplete="off" class="validate-password" size="30" maxlength="99" /></div></div>

The Joomla solution is based on:

github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/7054
github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/7094

This is specifically addressed to Firefox.

More
8 years 5 months ago #58523 by ggppdk
Hello

the workaround that joomla uses, does not work on firefox anymore

but using
Code:
<?php // Disables autocomplete ?> <input type="password" style="display:none">
instead of
Code:
<?php // Disables autocomplete ?> <input type="text" style="display:none">

i have commited fix for v3.0.9

The following user(s) said Thank You: norm1973

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline