Behavior of new Mini Gallery

More
12 years 1 month ago #23787 by mcmurdok
Hello,
i heard that you are planning an improvement of the mini-gallery-field plugin. I've two questions about that.
1. How is it planned to select the image-files for each mini-gallery?
For usability reasons, I'd prefer a method, where the user can select one image-file from their system together with fields for a label and a description (similar to the image field-plugin).
After this selection/labeling it would be nice if there was an "add file"-button which offers the same fields for the next gallery-image and so on. Alternativly I could imagine an option for uploading a zip-file with a set of images.
Therefor and for an optimal workflow it would also be very important to order and edit the description/label of the uploaded images from the item-edit-view, without having to open the files-manager. This could easely make it possible to add description and labels for unnamed image files e.g. uploaded as a zip-file.
The frontend rendering of these datas isn't my problem. For me it's important, that it is as easy as possible for editors. They don't like to switch several menus, they like to edit as much as possible from one screen. And in case of the mini-gallery, I think it isn't necessary to re-use the images, so that an file-manager wouldn't be required.
2. How will the images for the frontend be rendered?
Again, each time the page is opened via phpThumb or will there be a possibility to cache the preview-images for performance reasons?
A lot of questions, I know. I hope it's in the right forum.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #23788 by mcmurdok
I see, there is a plugin of netassopro "FLEXI Huge Gallery". Will the planned improvement of Flexicontent mini-gallery reach a similar level like "FLEXI Huge Gallery" or will the changes be smaller?

Regards

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #23790 by ggppdk
Replied by ggppdk on topic Behavior of new Mini Gallery
Actually this exactly my thoughts,

-- images entered in mini-gallery are never re-used, so it makes sense not to add them to the file manager
-- images used in mini-gallery field should have natural isolation in separate folder per item_id+minigal_field_id e.g. item_456_field_34, when 456 is is the item id and 34 is the of a minigallery field
-- the above folder is automatically created and opened by mini-gallery on every new item creation
-- if not images are set for mini-gallery then all images in folder are used
-- you can select graphically by viewing the folder which images to include (we have already similar but for files manager)
-- you can upload zip files from inside minigallery (we have already)
-- you can manage folder via FTP, is an image is missing minigallery skips it automatically

I have such a field implemented and i call it max-gallery and use it in my sites, but it mostly a hack now, i cannot include it. This will be in next version v1.5.7/ v2.1

Plus we need to allow more layouts / appearance of mini-gallery and also possibility descriptions.

Now i am finishing full item translations for my sites, it will allow to associate items together PLUS ability to define fields as untranslatable, thus retrieving value from master item, e.g. you can define to retrieve value from master item for mini-gallery field if you do not care for translating descriptions.

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #23798 by mcmurdok
Thank you,
this sounds fine. At the moment I've to enter the files-manager to edit the "Display Name", same for "Description", so I can't do that from the frontend.
Are planning these two options for the new mini-gallery-field-plugin?
By the way, this is also a weakness of the file-field-plugin, that you can't edit the "Display Name". Are therefor any plans to improve this in the future?

Regards

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline