Introducing multi property field 'fieldgroup2property'

More
7 years 3 months ago #65500 by ThunderTheo
Busy with fuly translating FlexiContent into dutch, ment that I had to introduce it into my own webspace to see the right context of all the text-strings used. Although this is still a ongoing proces, I started workin with FC to see it's full potential as a cck for Joomla.
I especialy like the way it handles grouped fields as one record of values accessable like a multi dimensional array or object. Takeing this in mind and walking over the sourcecode I only find one missing opertunity that would make this fieldtype even more powerfull, something other cck's are missing out on, and that is makeing grouped fields recursive in a save way.
The way grouped fields are used and integrated right now it would be hard to handle recursively use grouped fields. There is where this new build-in field 'fieldgroup2property' would come in.
It would be handled just as the other multi properties fields that allready exist, exept it uses a grouped field as it's input (select list with all grouped fields currently created) and uses the included fields as properties instead of predefined properties.
This way we could use a grouped field inside an other grouped field makeing nested fieldgroups without breaking out of the structure of FlexiContent.

As an example for an a-la-carte menu of a restaurant:
1 grouped field 'card-component' holding:
- component-name (text field)
- component-img (image-field)
- component-link (text field or weblink field)
- component-price (text field, currency restricted)
- Allow multiple values: YES
- Required: YES

1 fieldgroup2property field 'card-components' holding
- grouped field: 'card-component'
- use in group: YES (default)

1 grouped field 'card-courses' holding:
- course-title: (text field)
- course-subtitle: (text field)
- course-components: (fieldgroup2property: 'card-components')

This way an a-la-carte menu can be formed holding several courses each holding several components with each holding there own values as properties.

This would make very complex but strong content-creation possible outpowering other cck's for Joomla while the ease of use of FlexiContent will not alter (on other strong point of FlexiContent).

With regards

Theo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #65502 by ggppdk
Hello

will evaluate your suggestion

we have open an issue in our tracker for this:

github.com/FLEXIcontent/flexicontent-cck/issues/685

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThunderTheo

More
7 years 3 months ago #65504 by ThunderTheo
I created some example screens (first for the admin section) that may help in the creation of this field type.
Will create some for the item-form as an example and for the frontend later as soon as i have time.
Attachments:

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline