[tracker 296] New field - Rating/Vote

More
12 years 5 months ago #20986 by ma57er
I think this type of field will be a lot useful for many type of sites/portals like - games review, music review, movies etc. where can be show more then one rating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #20992 by kenmcd
This is a very common request for use in any kind of directory.
Multiple star ratings, or multiple number ratings, or both.
Including an option to display the total number of votes or ratings.

There has been some work done previously on a multi-vote field plug-in.
See:
www.flexicontent.org/forum/index.php?f=2...&rb_v=viewtopic#p552
The image from that post shows what most users are looking for.

So it appears that Emmanuel may have already made this type of field for his own use.

Also see:
www.flexicontent.org/forum/index.php?f=2...rb_v=viewtopic#p1139
According to that post some of the needed code is already in the FLEXIcontent core.

@ma57er
Awhile ago I had a discussion with ggppdk about me adding some of the most common directory-related feature requests to the FC tracker.
This is one of those features I was thinking about.
So I have added this feature request to the tracker here:
code.google.com/p/flexicontent/issues/detail?id=296

Suggested Options:
- display stars rating. or
- display number rating
- display Total number of votes or ratings (see example in screenshot above)
- adjust number of stars range (e.g. 1-to-5 stars or 1-to-10 stars, etc.)
- adjust ratings range (e.g. 0-to-5, or 0-to-10, etc.)
- multiple fields possible

If anyone else has feature suggestions or other comments, please add them here.

EDIT: after thinking about it a bit . . .

What about other types of ratings?
Such as a letter rating
- A,B,C,D,E

Or other user-defined ratings?
Such as
- Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum

More
12 years 5 months ago #20993 by ggppdk
FLEXIcontent is build on top of joomla articles and categories, you can use a joomla plugin for this.

e.g.
-- 1. install the joomla "extravote plugin"
-- 2. enable this plugin
-- 3. create an FLEXIcontent text field and set it to trigger the extravote plugin, and assign it to the FLEXIcontent types you want
-- 4. enter this text in the open tag parameter:
Code:
Rate Item: {mainvote}<br /> Characteristic1: {extravote 1} <br /> Characteristic2: {extravote 2} <br /> Characteristic3: {extravote 3}
-- 5. add it to the item layout of the templates
-- 6. in every item you want to display the votes YOU MUST ENTER a value e.g. write a fullstop character, otherwise the field value will not exist and the votes will not appear.

I don't suggest to use the above text in the default value, because it will only be auto added to only the newly created items, plus someone could modify it.

The best solution is to add a new parameter to the text field to auto force automatic use of default value when value is empty, this will be very useful for triggering plugin that require no per item value like this one.
Plus a new parameter to hide the field in the editor, since it will be confusing to the user (the other option would be to create a template override)

Regards

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
12 years 5 months ago #20994 by kenmcd
Yes, I am familiar with the Extra Vote plug-in from Sobi2 days.
Think I even have a converted to Sobi2 plug-in version somewhere.
Some people also used the VOTitaly plug-in with Sobi2.

But what I also remember from the Sobi2 support days are the many requests for something different, or better.

Some users wanted a larger scale,
For example up to 10 stars.

Some users wanted a more simple system.
For example a vote for: Yes/No, ThumbsUp/ThumbsDown

Many users wanted the ability to have multiple ratings.
Like the Movie Ratings image above.

There are now some other Sobi2 plug-ins which were created by other users or developers to fill those needs.
Tutorial Ratings Example:
[attachment=1:8mu98hys]<!-- ia1 -->Ratngs-Sobi2-examples_12-3-2011.png<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:8mu98hys]Includes:
- Overall rating: 1-5 stars
- Difficulty rating: 1-3 bars
- Helpful rating: ThumbsUp/ThumbsDown, Yes/No

Another request which came up multiple times was a star ratings summary like Amazon.
Example:
[attachment=0:8mu98hys]<!-- ia0 -->Amazon-star-ratings-summary_12-3-2011.png<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:8mu98hys]

While some of these requests can be done with other plug-ins like Extra Vote,
none of these workarounds will be as easy and useful as a real FLEXIcontent plug-in.

I realize that much of this may be a wishlist fantasy.
But as we discussed I am going to summarize the requests I have seen multiple times over the years.
Having seen you take every user feature request I have seen over the years for the Alpha-Index and make that a reality, one can be optimistic.
;)

A simple Rating field plug-in which could be used multiple times, and/or a Multi-Rating field plug-in would be a great addition.

Attachments:

More
12 years 5 months ago #21007 by micker
good propose

FLEXIcontent is Free but involves a very big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite being huge extension) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing reviews. Thanks![/size]

More
12 years 5 months ago #21009 by ggppdk
mmm , i see the difference in making a special "extended capabilities" voting (+combined with reviews?) field, plus i see the usefulness of it.

Nevertheless i don't think it of higher priority, than other enhancements in the bug tracker, or is it, mmm ?

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline