Using extra field to activate/disactivate items

More
11 years 4 months ago #30582 by Neow85
Hello !

I am new to Joomla and have already begun with a complex project.
I have a multilingual site with many subdomains. So I use Falang, JoomSEF and VirtualDomains to make everything working. It seems ok. However, an article could be displayed on several langages and hidden on others. Falang doesn't allow to make that, because it will replace missing/unpublished translations by default text.

I think FlexiContent could help me. I've started to create an extra field "language" with my different languages as checkbox. Now I want items to be available on the frontend only if the current language matches checked languages.

Do you think I am going on the right way to do what I want ? If it's possible, how to achieve that ?
I don't really know how to handle this since it is my very first Joomla's project.

Thanks in advance !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #30585 by ggppdk
First,

before you make this design decision,
are you sure it is best approach?

FLEXIContent and Joomla define article's (=FC item) language per Content item, and FLEXIcontent allows you to associate item's translations (THIS way you can translate ALL flexicontent field not just title and description like Falang Does, use Falang only for translating category names/description, field names, etc)

Also for associated translations can share untranslatable fields, (goto a custom FC field and define it as untranslatable)

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 4 months ago #30595 by Neow85
Thanks for your quick answer.

I am not sure about separating all the translations between different components. Compared to what we wanted first, it is already more complicated. Having all translations on the same component is nearly essential... The best solution would be to activate/disactivate items like publishing/unpublishing translations in Falang but it seems to be impossible.

However, is there any tutorial about translations associations on FlexiContent ?

More
11 years 4 months ago #30597 by ggppdk
no no , i never said to use 2 components,

My answer was depicting that FLEXIcontent is a super set of Joomla's article system

you will be using only FLEXIcontent,

Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?

More
11 years 4 months ago #30697 by Neow85
Ok, if I understand well, the idea would be to create one item per langage and add an "untranslatable" field to publish/unpublish items ? So all content has to be duplicated ?

More
11 years 4 months ago #30699 by ggppdk
Like joomla

1. create for same content create one item (=one translation) in every language of your site

2. FLEXIcontent for J1.5 / J2.5 allows you to associate translation together so that they switch on frontend when you change language

(this feature was added to Joomla 3.0)

3. About untranslatable fields, some fields may have data that is same among items translating the same content e.g. an email field, in this case mark field as untranslatable so that you only enter it once in the item with site's main language

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline