Using extra field to activate/disactivate items

More
11 years 5 months ago #30700 by Rooney

Neow85 wrote: I think FlexiContent could help me. I've started to create an extra field "language" with my different languages as checkbox. Now I want items to be available on the frontend only if the current language matches checked languages.

As ggppdk wrote in his last post: you only need FlexiContent. I have just finished a larger project and the in-built Joomla system works perfectly together with some additional FlexiContent features. No need for third party components, if you do not have any specific needs that Falang might offer.

One question. What is the reason that you are using a 3rd party SEF component? I believe this is definitely not needed anymore!

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #30702 by Neow85
Thanks, I will try this solution.

One question. What is the reason that you are using a 3rd party SEF component? I believe this is definitely not needed anymore!

Because it fills the gaps in FaLang. I read everywhere that, with FaLang, urls are not translated and that search engines doesn't recognize other languages than the default one, so you need to use a sef extension. And it makes my subdomains work.
Don't know if I need it anymore without FaLang.

More
11 years 5 months ago #30704 by Rooney

Neow85 wrote: Because it fills the gaps in FaLang. I read everywhere that, with FaLang, urls are not translated and that search engines doesn't recognize other languages than the default one, so you need to use a sef extension. And it makes my subdomains work.
Don't know if I need it anymore without FaLang.

You will definitely not need it using FlexiContent and the in-built Joomla multilanguage system because every translation is an own article and every menu item is an own menu item. So the url is built from the aliases.

FaLang stores translation in own data base tables.

You can have a look here for a live site FC+Joomla language system: www.muenstermann.com/en/

By the way, JoomFish (actually FaLang took over the old JoomFish code and started to "sell" it :shock: ) is now also available for Joomla 2.5. The beta version on GitHub ist pretty stable and also uses the in-built Joomla system: github.com/JoomFish/jf-future/w ... structions

Rooney

Joomla! 3.9.24 and FC 3.3.9

More
11 years 5 months ago #30722 by Neow85
Thanks for the link. If it uses the Joomla native multilingual system, I think it will not have search engines/url issues like FaLang. Does it work with FlexiContent ?

Also, I wanted to test the full FlexiContent solution, but creating one item per translation is really painful, because I have 10 languages to manage (fr-FR, fr-BE,nl-BE, nl-NL, fr-CH, de-CH, de-DE, it-IT, es-ES and pt-PT). For now, it seems to be the hardest issue, although it should allow to display or not one item for one language.

I wonder if using Joomfish and FC may be a little more user-friendly than just FC.

More
11 years 5 months ago #30723 by ggppdk
You can use Falang with FLEXIcontent categories , fields , file titles,

but we do not recommend using it for items

-- if you use it for items too (aka you do not create multiple items but only one item and then create item translations via Falang),
then note that Falang will only translate title, description , alias , meta (meaning only core fields and not custom fields)

Also read this:
How To Translate you content in v1.5.6+ / v2.0+

-- Flexicontent is Free but involves a big effort on our part.
Like the our support? (for a bug-free FC, despite having a long list of functions) Like the features? Like the ongoing development and future commitment to FLEXIcontent?
-- Add your voice to the FLEXIcontent JED listing with a 5-star...

More
11 years 5 months ago #30729 by Neow85
Thanks for the link, I didn't find it, and for your quick support !

If I use a plugin for translation, I think I will try Joomfish 2.5 rather than FaLang, it seems a lot better and it follows Joomla native multilingual.

Moderators: vistamediajoomlacornerggppdk
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Essential
These cookies are needed to make the website work correctly. You can not disable them.
Display
Accept
Analytics
Tools used to analyze the data to measure the effectiveness of a website and to understand how it works.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline